Thursday, May 28, 2009

How to Know God page 130



For the last two years, I have been immersed in a super-massive lifestyle change. Raised heathen/ bohemian/ make-up-your-own-mind, I spent years searching for which god is God. I got my first clue from Sister Act 2-" If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere, you better wake-up and pay attention!"



Second, in college, like John Denver, I climbed Rocky Mountain High while dressed as a Living Dead Doll. I learned a lot, met some weird ass people, respected and understood the craft, but found that I longed for something higher and with less eye-liner. (I also learned how to identify different herbs and flowers and how to use them towards healing purposes.) Gardening is one of my most cherished pasttimes.



Then, like Chicken Little, out of the sky, I found my third eye. Yoga became a necessary addition to my daily life because I was Queen of Retail Hell and was shaking my groove thing in ways God never intended. Yoga helped. It helped so much, that I was drawn to kirtan (chants with music) that I had not enjoyed which had been laying around my house for a few years. (They were Mom's) Ravi Shankar and Jaya Lakshmi were the first two artists in this genre I quickly came to love.



Next, a landslide..Everything changed at once. I began to incorporate my yoga and meditation practice with more advanced reading and studies. Paramahansa Yogananda's book, Autobiography of a Yogi, removed any veil of unsurety. When I read this book, clarity was mine. I am a read-a-holic when it comes to learning more.



Evidently born a writer, I have been writing poetry, stories, and books about every topic you can imagine, since I was seven. With my new found devotion to Eastern philosophy, I just naturally gravitated towards writing fiction, which includes the topics I am currently most interested in. Some of these are yoga, meditation, chanting, as well as the importance of friendship and also recognition of world concerns such as poverty, environmentalism, and how "to be the change you want to see in the world" as Gandhi suggested.



I hope my books, which are a series of two, will introduce these concepts to those who are interested and will encourage them to seek their Inner Light. Please tell me your ideas or thoughts which you feel might draw interest in my attempts. I will be telling lots more of the premise and give you some general character descriptions. Hopefully, you will be intrigued.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed how you describe your spiritual journey to arriving at the place you are today..Clarity is a funny thing, arriving out of the blue after years of hiding! I know in my case, all my eclectic pathways have sort of "congealed" and I am able to incorporate all that I have learned along the way to where my mind and soul are now.. Muddled insanity somehow clears into obvious revelation! Your book sounds like it will be most interesting because your writing style is very descriptive!! I know you personally have traveled to several countries, including Spain and Portugal. What country will your books take place in? Hope you hurry and write more details..will keep checking back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me intrigued...and I did that Rocky Mountain high things, too...though it was definitely more Jerry Garcia than John Denver...

    ReplyDelete